Karolinska Institutet offers accomodation services through KI Housing. This is a very convenient opportunity for every new-coming student since finding a place to live in Stockholm might get tricky sometimes. On this blogpost you will read everything you need to know about moving to KI Residence Flemingsberg, which is part of the Nobelus building complex.
For a comparison between different KI Housing options please click here: https://studentblogski.wordpress.com/2020/04/26/ki-housing-options-compared/
Nobelus building complex is located in the heart of the Flemingsberg campus in south Stockholm, about 12km from the city center. Even though it is a bit far, it is very well communicated with the city. It only takes a 15min ride on the Pendeltåg (commuter train) to arrive to T Centralen.
How to get to KI Campus Solna:
There are two options to get to campus:
- Take the free KI shuttle bus that connects both campuses. The bus stop is located in front of KI Huddinge’s hospital (about 12min walk from Nobelus), and you need to be prepared to show your KI ID. Travel time is around 40min (if there is no traffic). Please check this link to know more about departure times: https://staff.ki.se/commuter-bus
- Public transport (SL): You can take the Pendeltåg towards the city and get off at Odenplan station. Then you can take any of the following buses: 6, 53, 72 or 507. Travel time from door to door is around 50-55min. Note: You could also walk from Odenplan to KI (1.7km)
KI Housing Flemingsberg offers different types of accommodations: single room in a shared apartment, studio apartment or family apartment. All options come furnished (the furniture is very new and good looking!) and include a washer/dryer machine.
All rooms come with a: closet, desk, desk lamp, chair, curtains and a mirror. Rooms include mattress, duvet and two pillows. Please note that you have to bring your own sheets and towels.
- Individual room of 7-8 square meters.
- Bed size (90 x 200cm)
- 24-25 square meters.
- Queen bed (size 140 x 200cm).
- The apartment has two bedrooms. One bedroom comes with a queen bed (size 140 x 200cm) and the other bedroom comes with a bunk bed for two (size 90 x 200cm).
Each apartment comes with a very nice kitchen equipped with basic utensils. It includes:
- A well sized fridge and freezer.
- Plates, cutlery, cups, wine glasses, baking pans.
- Cooking utensils.
- Cooking pots of 3 different sizes.
You are allowed to receive guests! Just remember to talk to your housemate in order to have her/his consent. There is a big couch in the living room that converts to a double bed!
Nobelus building complex has some convenient features:
- Grill zone.
- Storage space. Each apartment has its own allocated space on the basement.
- Asian/Sushi restaurant.
- Bike storage.
Nobelus building complex has many interesting places around that makes it a very convenient place to live in.
KI Library and buildings
The library is just 300m away and its a great spot for studying. You can also book study rooms for you or for your group meetings. Study rooms include a TV and whiteboard to make your session run smoothly. One of my favorite features about living here was leaving the library at 10pm (closing time) and be at home in less than 5 minutes!
KI Gym BASE is located in front of the Nobelus building complex. It is a very nice gym with all the equipment you could possibly need. There is also an open gym in front of the library in case you want a more outdoor experience (or in case there’s a pandemic 😬)
This is definitely one of my favorite things about living here. Just 100m away from the building there is a small forest with crazy hidden statues. It is the perfect place to go for a run or for a fun and relaxing walk.
Located 1km away from the building is a small commercial center in front of Karolinska Huddinge Hospital entrance. There you will find a supermarket, some restaurants and convenience stores, the post office and a SFI (Swedish for Immigrants) school.
Paying your rent is super easy! There’s an online system where you can pay using your debit or credit card. The rent varies each month since KI Housing will charge you an amount per night. For more information regarding pricing please visit KI Housing website.
There are three major supermakerts nearby. The first two (ICA and Lidl) are next to the Pendeltåg station, just 10-15min away walking. The third option (Pulsen) is located in Flemingsberg centrum.
Hope you liked this blogpost! If you want to read about other KI Housing locations you can check Lauren’s blog on Jagargatan.
For more information please visit: https://www.kihousing.se/accommodation-areas/ki-residence-flemingsberg/