Methods for Studying the Distribution of Health (2014)

The second course for epidemiology student this year is ‘Methods for Studying the Distribution of Health’, or as we prefer to say it: EPI 1. As Laura had mentioned here, this course was also held in Institute of Environmental Medicine or IMM (Institutet för Miljömedicin) for this year.

My friend in front of IMM building, where we had the class for the 2nd course this year. Sometimes we also met our Toxicology friends here ;)
My friend in front of IMM building, where we had the class for the 2nd course this year. Sometimes we also met our Toxicology friends here 😉

When I first received the schedule, I was, to be honest, rather shocked, because we had quiz and examination every day! Of course the examination here was not like the final examination, when we had to sit in the large exam hall and do the test. Instead, what was meant by the examination in the schedule was all the group and individual assignments that we had to do throughout the course. So during this course (at least what we had done this year), from Monday to Thursday, we would have a lecture in the morning, and group work in the afternoon. We always changed the group for the group assignments, which was nice! Because then we got the chance to know our own classmates and worked with the ones whom we had never worked with previously 😉

Apart from the group work, we also had our own individual assignments. No worries, because there would be one full day allocated for us to do the individual assignment, which was Friday! So practically, you could do the individual assignments anywhere you wished, either in the library, your room, in the park, or even in the cruise to Helsinki 😛 (though my friends really disregarded this idea and someone even tried to hide my reading materials 😛 )

Like in the previous course, I also had some ‘favorite’ sessions in this course. For the group assignments, for example, one of my favorite sessions was when we were asked to design a study, so we were given a set of questions regarding the study we were about to design (e.g. hypothesis, exposure and outcome, sampling, etc), but we only had to fill in the question on the research hypothesis. Then, our paper will be passed along the group, so that each and every member of the group would fill in different questions in our paper, according to what they had in mind based on our hypothesis. It was kind of amusing (for me, at least XD ) because sometimes, although what we had in mind was pretty obvious, others might not think the same! And so when we got our paper back, the study design might be completely different from what we had planned in our mind 😛

The last part of this course, which was the final exam, was held on Friday the week before I wrote this post. The final exam accounted for 70% of our final score while the group and individual assignments accounted for the other 30%. We had 2 days off before the final exam which we could use to prepare the final exam. However, it took me a huge effort to keep myself studying on the second day, because on that day (6 November 2014), the first snow finally fell in Stockholm!!! XD I, who had never seen snow for the last 20 years, was really, really excited to see it and really wished I could come out and play. But sadly, I had to stay inside and study, because I had used the previous day to have a little break, and until the time I wrote this post no snow had fallen again in Stockholm…

First snow in Stockholm. Do you want to build a snowman~? :3
First snow in Stockholm. Do you want to build a snowman~? :3

So… that’s all I could say about our second course. Please wish us luck for the results of the exam! XD

Until next post!

Alicia

P.S. Like in the previous course, we also needed a calculator for the final exam. Not the scientific one, though. And there was a limited number available if you do not have one for the exam. Just so you know 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s